Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Mrazgiving


No one has taught me more about being good to people, expressing gratitude, and being thankful than Jason Mraz. I draw so much inspiration, good advice, and a great example of humanity from this person and gush to talk to anyone who will listen about him (thanks Wayne). Obama has been making my body buzz and until then only Jason and John Lennon produce that feeling and most recently it had been fading. This is not a sexual buzz. This is a "I will follow you wherever you lead me to go" kind of buzz. But with the holidays approaching and the economy sucking harder every minute, I admit, I am a little depressed. So when Jason comes to town I try to make sure I don't lose my mind from THINKING about the sheer amount of questions I have about business, touring, friends, family, travels, pooping, kitties and randoms like lazer lights. He shares, he educates, he creates, he imagines, he is gracious, and he is cool. My buddy Jason was in Milwaukee at Eagle's Ballroom last Friday night and then he played the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago on Saturday. As luck would have it, I was able to attend both with backstage privileges. I brought three friends along for the Chicago show and Jason put us sidestage behind the sound board and Micah, the super sound guy. The first picture is of the stage while we were the only people on stage for about 30 mins with 5,000 people staring at us, or so I felt. Crazy. And the next picture is a little blurry, but I think you understand where we were.

In Milwaukee we got about 20 mins with Jason backstage, but in that time we shared some down time and he mentioned getting me sidestage passes in Chicago and I was not sure what that meant until I took that empty stage picture. No wing, no curtain and not even tall speakers. I have to admit, it was pretty fucking cool. It has me spoiled though and I'm fascinated by the lifestyle and the backstage perspective. Any chance to see the grid system or just the view is super. There's my inner stage manager for ya. It is a treat and a gift to be able to hang with old friends more often than not and actually watch them grow and perform (up close and not so). I've known Jason for 13 years or thereabouts. He rocks the variety ease. Steely Dan and then Rick James' "Mary Jane". He is just right. He covered a little Sinatra, a little Bennett, and did "Clockwatching" into "No Stopping Us" which was just delightful. Well done buddy. I am thankful for Mraz time however I can get it. I look forward to your Christmas album whenever you want to release that gem. Seriously. "O Holy Night". seriously.

No comments: