Friday, April 27, 2007

Defense of the TUBE

As a product of television, I consider myself pretty freakin' lucky. I've always been on the chubbier side and played Barbies CONSTANTLY, but never once thought that I was supposed to have a waist like that nor did I think that however killing someone was fun or a regular thing. There are no false hopes, no proof of insanity or retardation for me, but television today (save some shows like 30 Rock and some mistakenly canceled shows like Arrested Development and the first season of The O.C.) is pathetic. Removing that laugh track on some brought us out a little, but reality shows put us right back in the idiot pool. As a avid supporter of television and Public Broadcasting, but as a non-conformist, I am so disappointed that though upon arrival Survivor may have been a great idea, but then why have the exact same show just slightly tweaked by 17 different names? The BBC and Canada were early sources from where I picked up comedy and get really pissed off at America for taking a show from such genius like Ricky Gervais (even though he produced it and Steve Carell is gold) and copycatting it to fit American culture. I know, I know, it's been done for years and with movies and music, too, but it just seems like we're cranking out these talented fuckers for what? To copy what doof just did 5 mins ago and capitalize on the wave is the way of it these days and I am a non-conformist that can't seem to find the heart to embrace the capitalism. Shit. That's gonna keep me poor for a long time.