Monday, May 26, 2008

Recycling, Good Words, Getting Through

Recently a massive company gave away thousands of free vacuum sealers. "What a crazy campaign!" I thought, but was glad to stand in line for two seconds and not have to fill out anything to receive not one, but TWO of these vacuum sealers. I don't cook that much to really need it and I have an issue about plastics these days (I'm learning to pick my battles), but it might help me work more with leftovers. Regardless, of the free aspect of it, today I took the vacuum thingy out of the package for a closer look and to my dismay, there is not one indicator on the package for recycling or how much of it is post consumer plastic content, etc. My theory for the massive giveaway is there was a massive goof in not having the packaging recyclable or "green" as the kids call it these days. I used to call it "hippie" or "new agey", but these days it's becoming my lifestyle. Maybe it is a win-win giveaway for the company, but I do hope they get on board with less plastic as it is a mauling and killing our environment as well as our offspring.

This past week end was host to a super duper event, Pilcrow Lit Fest, and it was smashing. The attendees and participants were a groovy mix of very cool peeps and their super friends and fans. I was obliged to volunteer at a few of the panels and learned excellent tips and stories of experience from these wonderfully creative writers, authors, publishers, bloggers, and they are all supporters and believers in the true and honest delivery of independent print. This festival has certainly inspired me to not only get back on the regular writing trip, but to get cracking on the comedy release. Well done Pilcrow folks. Cheers to next year and many more!

This has been a week of mental breakdowns and heightened self consciousness which is just obnoxious, but when the time comes and the day of bloodshed is upon us, one sometimes is unable to leave her apartment. I've also become so spazed out in my thirties that I haven't been able to watch movies all the way through. I made myself watch Ratatouille which was delightful. Patton Oswalt has always been a funny performer and he fit very well with the rest of the cast. Distraction. Then I caught most of Breakfast At Tiffany's which I had never seen. It made it more difficult leaving my apartment even though I had more or less planned to be away from it for a stretch of time both weekend days, but got a couple passes on Sunday for commitment stuff so I've been veggin' the last two days. Been somewhat productive, but it seems that they are just daily/weekly chores that pile up. When I have children, they will learn to pick up after themselves and after their mommy. Isn't that why people have children?

On Friday last I joined my friend and her fiancee at Whole Foods for a quick (not) trip to pick up some munchies for the evening. It ended up taking almost an hour. Wow. I hardly take that time when I'm shopping for two weeks of stockage. Whatever. I guess it boils down to how I feel about myself physically and add stonage and you have a highly self conscious individual. For some crazy reason I felt people looking at me strange or with pity as I did not arrive at Whole Foods at the the top of my vain game. We got almost out of the store and got caught up at the deli. They took for-fucking-ever to pick out what they wanted for the three of us to eat. I became more and more uncomfortable as I stood there in agony when all of a sudden "Who Let the Dogs Out" came over the loudspeaker considerably louder than the music that had been playing a moment before. I looked around to see more people looking in my general direction and smiling, but not in a friendly way, more so in a Nelson "haha" way. I have never felt so uncomfortable in my life. One day I won't give a shit, but until then, I shall keep dancin' along in the aisles to those songs that may or may not be dedicated to me at the grocery store.

In life I am looking for a job that incorporates environmental activism, happiness without prescription meds, and sex that involves love without depending on my pointer and index fingers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You always keep it real and I love that. You aren't a dog, my friend. You are a hot bitch and I love U. Keep on keepin on. Leen. Xo.