Thursday, March 22, 2007

Chivalrous Waldo

Upon sardining myself on Chicago #66 approximately at 8:31 this morning I noticed this young man wearing what appeared to be a Where's Waldo shirt. Upon more sneak peeks, he actually had the Waldo look with the thick framed black glasses and not so fro-ey hair, but definitely looked like a real life Waldo. The train has been sucky as it is with delays and overcrowding due to the delays, but today the platform underground at Chicago's Blue Line stop was pretty open. I was the first to descend into the underground passage to the platform and I was the only person that stopped at my usual stopping and train loading spot. I was standing there for a few minutes when a man came by shuffling and what seemed to be wheezing and stood not 2 ft away from me. There was about 40 ft around me that was open, but this guy wanted to stand 2 ft from me breathing as he was and staring at me. Me being the person that makes eye contact had made eye contact initially when this man shuffled passed, but did not attempt to look in his direction again nor did I want to move away from him quickly for it may have sparked some unpleasantness. Well, in not doing anything the man go closer and started to move in behind me. I slid myself against a post a with a smile and an exasperated sigh I grab one side of my face with my hand and had made eye contact with Waldo (I know not his name and hope that no offense is taken by calling him Waldo) who had been watching me and what this guy was doing the whole time we were standing there. Without a word, he started to walk towards me and the creepy guy and without words he corraled the dude away from me. The panic come over me when the train was too crowded and I feared I'd be left on the platform again with the guy, but I didn't want to try the door he and Waldo were using, but the one that was close to me was blocked by people loading and a packed doorway. The panic was enough for me to push in behind a woman and to plead with the passengers to let me in, please and they did without any grief. I looked down the train to where Waldo had borded, leaving the creepy, breathing guy on the platform waiting for the next train. Waldo and I made eye contact and I gave him a 'Thank you' in sign language and mouthed it to him to which he nodded and smiled a little. Thank you for diffusing a potentially scary scene, Mr. Chivalrous Waldo.

No comments: