Sunday, August 26, 2007

Cubs Buddies

To go from being a Yankees fan almost by default, transplant to Chicago and become a White Sox fan, not a Cubs fan, baffles some and impresses others. In all of it, managing to keep both Cubs and Sox fans as friends has not been too difficult and thank you for it. On some occasions, the word "hate" will make its way from my face in front of "Cubs", but baseball is such a highlight in this often unbelievably retarded world. I was prithee to see Kurt Schilling pitch against the White Sox at US Cellular Field on the Southside of Chicago last eve and it didn't even matter that my Sox lost. Partly because they are pretty much just balls out sucking and partly because I was on a quasi date with an co-worker buddy's son and we went to the game. It was cute, but I think I have hangups about younger men. Mostly due to the overwhelming issue of self esteem I hold onto and just the observance of the fierce competition presented by the most whorish display of youth. i.e. I feel like an old fart. It is cool, but funny when my mother mentioned just the other day that I would do better with an older man. I agree, but it would be fun to play with a younger one for a little while. Maybe teach him a few things. We'll leave that open.

So initially this post was supposed to happen just over a month ago in response to another delightful evening with Cubs fans. It was a birthday gathering for an old friend's wife. It is nice to have the familiar with the relatively new life intertwined and the good thing about them is they don't carry any baggage. Even cooler is the pride that we have for our teams, but have no animosity towards each other or it is totally in jest. Both teams in the same city living on opposite ends of MLB.

No comments: